Benefits of Participation
Eligible Promotional Activities
This is the list of promotional activities that are eligible for 50% reimbursement through CostShare. The goal of these promotional activities is to promote your brand(s) to foreign buyers/distributors/consumers; so when you see ‘advertising’ for example, that means advertising in a foreign market.
To fully understand what is eligible and the claims documentation required for reimbursement, consult the CostShare Manual:
2023 CostShare Manual
2024 CostShare Manual
- Advertising: Production and placement of advertising, such as print and electronic media (including social media, influencers, etc)
- Creating Packaging/Labels for a Foreign Market: Design and production of packaging and labeling, or stickers, to meet import requirements of a foreign country
- Trade Shows - Exhibiting at International Shows: Exhibition fees, travel for up to two company employees or representatives, freight charges, equipment rental, setup charges, etc. Virtual trade show fees are eligible, including professional photography and design of booth
- Domestic Trade Shows - Exhibiting at USDA-Approved U.S. Trade Shows: Exhibition fees, freight charges, equipment rental, setup charges, etc. Virtual trade show fees are eligible, including professional photography and design of booth
- In-Store Demonstrations/Food Service Promotions: Product demonstrations and distribution of product samples outside the U.S.
- In-Store Displays: Temporary displays outside the U.S., such as shelf talkers, displays, signage, etc., and rental of space for displays
- Point of Sale Materials: Production, distribution, and translations of banners, recipe cards, company brochures and other similar materials
- Website/Web Pages: Costs for developing, servicing and updating website content that clearly targets a foreign audience, such as translating web pages
- Pre-Approved Outbound Trade Missions: The participation fee for an Outbound Trade Mission sponsored by either SUSTA or USDA, and the travel (round trip international flight, lodging and a per diem) for two company employees or representatives. (Airfare and lodging reimbursement is contingent upon what SUSTA’s Global Events Program covers. For example: if Global Events is paying for your hotel, you cannot turn in a claim for reimbursement for your lodging)
- Travel Expenses: Airfare, lodging and meals & incidentals (M&IE) per diem allowances for up to two company employees or representatives when exhibiting at trade shows or pre-approved trade missions outside the U.S.
- Wages for Temporary Labor: Demonstrators, interpreters and translators that assist with trade shows, in-store and food service promotions and trade seminars
- Trade Seminars - International: Seminar room rental, equipment rental, point of sale materials, and demonstrator/chef wages
- Freight/Shipping: Shipping point of sale materials and product samples to international customers or for in-store demonstrations, trade seminars, pre-approved trade missions and trade shows
- Promotional Giveaways: Items such as pens, key rings, etc. are 50% reimbursable up to $2.00 per individual item
- Press Kits/Press Releases: Production and distribution of press releases, press kits and other materials and information directed at the foreign media, trade and consumers